Boils are usually not a serious condition and will usually resolve on their own. However, there are certain situations when you should seek medical care after a boil develops.
- Any boil accompanied by a fever should receive medical attention
- The boil has persisted for a long period of time or spread
- The boil or abscess is in a patient with diabetes or an underlying illness or a weakened immune system
- There is a reddening of the skin or red streaks on the skin
- The failure of a boil to form a “head"
- Multiple boils
- Medical attention is also required for boils in an infant
- A boil on the face, spine, groin, or in the rectum
Medfast Urgent Care Centers offer fast, professional medical treatment for boils. Our average wait time to see patients is less than an hour, compared to Hospital Emergency Rooms, which can sometimes take longer than three to four hours and are much more expensive. We are professionally staffed with highly-skilled, licensed doctors and nurses, and fully equipped to handle testing and treatment for boils.